Are Your Plants Pet Safe?
Toxic: Dracaena Fragrans
aka: “Corn Plant”
NASA listed the corn plant as a “clean air plant,” meaning that it helps remove indoor pollutants like formaldehyde. Unfortunately it also contains toxic compounds called saponins which cause serious digestive and emotional problems in cats and dogs.
Non Toxic: Chlorophytum comosum
aka: “Spider Plant”
Also a NASA clean air plant, the spider plant is hard to kill, and thrives in indirect light and well drained soil.
Toxic: Crassula argentea
aka: “Jade Plant” or “Rubber Plant”
Jade plants are easy succulents to grow indoors, but can cause anything from abdominal pain to impaired muscle movement in dogs.
Non Toxic: Beaucarnea recurvata
aka: “Ponytail palm tree”
Neither a palm nor a tree, the ponytail palm tree is also technically a succulent that thrives with bright light and water.
Toxic: Epipremnum aureum
aka: “Devil’s Ivy”
This plant filters toxins from the air and sometimes is placed on top of aquariums to grows roots in the water which absorb nitrates. But they also contain insoluble raphides which cause problems like oral irritation if ingested.
Non Toxic: Maranta leuconeura
aka: “Prayer Plant”
Super hardy and slow growing, the prayer plant can live in all types of light and is non toxic!
Toxic: Hedera helix
aka: “English Ivy”
English ivy grows so easily that in many places it is considered
a “noxious weed” banned from sale. It also contains triterpenoid saponin which can cause gastrointestinal harm.
Non Toxic: Tradescantia pallid
aka: “Wandering jew”
These plants can grow by repotting cuttings in fresh soil or can even root in water. Remember to keep pinching large plants back to encourage fullness.
aka: “elephant ears”
Elephant ear plants come in a variety of striking pink and green colors but contain insoluble calcium oxalate, which can cause
swelling of the mouth and vomiting. If your pet appears to be bothered by it's mouth then it could be a sign they nibbled on caladiums!
Non Toxic: Bromeliads
Bromeliads like these Aechmeas are just as colorful and look beautiful in bright indirect light and are non toxic for your pups!