1) Vegetarianism has roots in Ancient India, but was recommended by Greek philosopher Pythagoras, and even called the “Pythagorean diet”
2) The first Vegetarian Society met in England back in 1847 as an educational group teaching how to be healthy without meat.
3) Benjamin Franklin was an early American vegetarian for a time, and actually introduced tofu to America in 1770!
4) There are several kinds of vegetarians.:
Lacto Vegetarians eat diary
Ovo Vegetarians eat eggs
Pollotarians eat poultry
Pescatarians eat seafood
5) Vegans won’t eat or use any animal products at all, usually including honey or beesewax.
6) Vegetarianism has been linked with reduced risk of heart disease, high blood pressure, and obesity.
7) B-12 is one of the few vitamins only found in meat, although there is evidence to suggest that it may be found on the outer peel of mushrooms.
8) Going vegetarian has been shown to be one of the best things you can do for the environment.
9) Plants actually yield ten times more protein per acre than meat.
10) One pound of wheat takes 25 gallons of water to grow while 1 pound of meat which takes 2, 500 gallons of water to produce.