Pom poms are a great accessory to throw on a gift, hang from a tote, or use as a festive table setting. Robert’s pom pom tutorial will show you how to create your own colorful collection of pom poms out of colorful yarn!
How-To Make Colorful Pom Poms
1. Extend one pair of semi-circular arms out from the pom pom maker. Hold the maker in one hand and place the tail end of your selected yarn under your thumb to hold it securely. With your other hand wrap the yarn around the extended pair of arms. Wrap until the arms are completely covered and the semi-circular space is completely filled with wrapped yarn. When you’ve finished wrapping, fold the arms back into the make and cut the yarn.
2. Extend the second set of arms out from the maker and wrap in the same manner you wrapped the first pair. When you’ve finished wrapping, fold the arms back into the make and cut the yarn.
3. Turn the pom pom maker on its side. Take a sharp pair of scissors and cut the wrapped yarn, following along the channel between the two halves of the maker.
4. When you’re finished cutting, take a length of thread and slide it into the channel between the two halves of the maker, wrap it around and tie a tight knot. Next wrap it in reverse to the opposite side, tie another tight knot and then double knot it.
5. Extend both sets of arms out from the maker and separate the two halves of the maker and set aside.
6. Take the pom pom by the thread tails and shake it out. Next flatten the pom pom into a disc and trim the edges to create a circular shape. Rotate the pom pom, flatten it into a disk and trim again. Repeat this multiple times until the pom pom is a circular orb shape.
7. Take the pom pom again by the thread tails and shake it to reveal any longer pieces of yarn that may need to be trimmed. And your pom pom is complete!
-Use almost any type of fiber to create your pom poms — consider sewing thread, embroidery floss, acrylic, wool or cotton yarn
-The thread tails can be used to tie your pom pom to another items, or trimmed according to your desired use.